Saturday, January 25, 2014

TED: Heather Knight: Silicon-based comedy

Heather Knight brings up an interesting point in her TED that explores the interactivity between robots, and humans. She states “ It’s just a robot. It doesn’t have feelings.....yet”. Which makes me wonder just how far away are we from robots making emotional decisions? I like the idea of using robots to tell jokes or for entertainment purposes but where will we be even 10 years from now when a Robot not only can tell the jokes, but maybe learn your emotional state and make decisions on how to react to you based on your mental state.

A robot that tells jokes seems harmless, but it just makes me wonder where do we go from here? As you watch the audience react to the robots jokes, you almost forget that its just moving parts and electronics up there, and you start to almost humanize the robot on some level. The technology used in robotics seems to be developing so fast that at some point we may have to ask ourselves “how human do we really want robots to be?”

 If I were to relate this to my own design it might be to think of how I could add that human element of connection to my videos. If you can connect with your audience with humor, excitement or emotional level that solidifies that human connection, than you have created a lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment