Saturday, January 25, 2014

Neil Harbisson: I listen to color

This TED talk showed how one man was able to use his color blindness disability to his advantage by using technology to find a new way to interpret color. I think this video showed how technology is being used in many ways to aid in peoples disabilities and in situations such as this, become even more advanced. By using this eyeborg technology, Harbisson is able to visualize color in his brain from sound waves. What was amazing about this in addition to the technology was that he could actually visualize more than what is normal in human perception.

With this technology he is able to turn sound into art which makes his work so interesting using two totally different types of mediums. Another interesting point is Neil Harbisson’s perspective that he does not feel he is using technology, he feels he is the technology. It makes me think differently about my current perception of a “Cyborg”. He is quoted as saying “Technology is made by humans so if we modify our body with human creations we become more human.” This brings up many different possibilities in what might be possible as humans and technology start to become a unified being.

If I were to use some technology that would make me more “Cyborg” like, I think I would like technology that allowed me to retain information, almost like a hard-drive on a computer, so that I could tap into any bit of information or memory at any given moment. It might be a stretch but who would have thought we would have technology that converted light frequencies into it’s own language by using sound frequencies. We just might be closer to this than we think.    

No comments:

Post a Comment